Sunday, January 18, 2009

Headline News - Canadian Ass Flying Through the Air - Part Deux


Part two to my hugely anticipated Melbourne write up!  I am still waiting on some pictures, but the picture above is just before 12 on New Years Eve.  The Gore Tex was out in full force!

NYE was pretty relaxed as I had not slept in 48 hours.  Just surprised there was still gas in the tank by 12 on the 1st!

The racing started on the 2nd so there wasn't much time to screw around.  Bikes had to be built and equipment ready to be transported to all the races.  The first stage was in this cool little boat village with cafe's everywhere.  I managed to score some TV time, rocking my white shades and stylish black and pink MB gear.  Tough life being good looking.  Anywho, the girls rode a strong race, just like Cronulla.  Some girl from Plan B, which isn't the morning after pill in Australia to my surprise, took the solo win with my girl taking 3rd after a sketchy sprint.

The finish line break down went pretty well and fast but there was always a little work to be done.  Always had awesome dinners with good beer/wine courtesy of my boss being over the moon.  Thankfully Kirsty and the girls always pulled through.  I don't even want to know how much the trip would have cost if the girls weren't finding good legs or form!  I got to know everyone a little better including Gina who is definitely one of the coolest people I've ever met.  Always stowked about anything and everything and down to do what ever.  

While getting changed one day I over heard her taking to a few others.

Gina: Hey my name is Gina
I think it was Jono she was messing around with
Gina: Do you know how to say Go GINA in french?
Just being in the other room, I start thinking to my self, "where is she going with this?!"
Gina: VAS GINA!!!!

The reason I am outlining all this is because the next day at one of the longer courses the girls were riding quite comfortably and Gina was surfing wheels mid pack just having a Jolly Good Time.  Being the awesome team Mechanish that I am, I always tried to shout things of encouragement or info.  Having thought about the previous night's joke, I decided to shout VAS GINA!!!!! as loud as I could as they came cruising by for another lap.  Haha funny right.  Immediately, I looked at Jono and asked him if I had honestly just shouted VAGINA to 55 girls riding by.  I'm not sure if anyone actually paid any attention but I was pretty embarrassed.  I stayed to english after that!  Kirsty ended up winning that stage which also gave her the lead overall and the Yellow Jersey.

The 3rd stage was in the same location, but a smaller, tighter course.  An Island in the middle of a downhill 90 left turn also made things much more difficult.  Unfortunatly, Gina found out the hard way when 2 girls crashed infront of her and closed her door.  Gina flew through the air and ate the road hard.  She somehow came out ok.  A little sore but nothing serious.   That was also the moment she became an Australian Celebrity.  Because that turn had a view on the finish line, there were several photographers.  My girl was on the front page of every news paper in the area and a few of the national publications.  A series of shots that outlined the beginning to the end of the crash.  A super star!  Her back end would now be recognized by anyone who picked up a paper for the big price of a buck!

She still finished the series like the bike racing animal that she is.  Hands down the reason Kirsty walked away with 4 yellow jerseys, 3 wins, 2 3rd.

I worked most of the last night in Ocean's Grove.  Packing bikes and organizing equipment to be shipped or taken to the TDU.  Ended up going for a swim in the Ocean at about 4am before taking my final drive to the melbourne airport. 

Had the afternoon off and was back at work the next day!  

Anywho, thats it for now.  Banged out a tough 100km this morning and it's nap time!

No comments: