Friday, February 20, 2009

Pai: Going to be tough to leave




So I've already booked 1 weeks worth of accomodations in my little bungallow by this sweet lazy river. The place is awesome. Laid back, great food, friendly people and best of all its in a relatively remote part of the north, with the Bermese and Lao boarders within a few hours drive. Prob less than 100km but the crazy hills make the driving quite difficult and slow.

My last day in Chiang mai was pretty good. Rented this shitty 125 and went exploring. Checked out Doi Suthep and its temple, and then took the bike further to Doi Pui, the summit @ about 1650 meters. The climb on a bicycle would have been perfect. Easy climbing for the better part of 10kms and then the road kicks HARD right before the temple all the way up to the summit. I would consider it an Cat 1 or even HC. I ended up walking around the Pui where some locals said to walk in that direction for an hour! Sketchy trails at best. The views when I got to my destination where alright I guess. There is a pretty bad smog surrounding the region. I was also in the presence of a dozen or so Thai dudes in Military digs drinking Thai Whisky on their dirt bikes. The lonely planet states there are still several paramilitary groups working in the emphetamine/heroin trade in the region so I didn't stick around too long!

On my way back down I also checked out these waterfalls which consists of 9 steps. I got up to step 4 about 5-600 meters before I could no longer find a trail up. Pathetic, but I was tired from the 2 hours walking before and the sun was beginning to set. Didn't want to get up the 2km vertical trail and have the sun set on me! The bugs were bad enough durring the day!

I ended up meeting this German dude back in town. We proceeded to getting rediculousy drunk. I did anyways, and I made the amature mistake of doing so on an empty stomach. Several Long Neck beers later, a couple Chang towers and I was off! Headed back to my hotel room to get eaten alive by the mozzies!

The next morning I figured leaving for Pai would be a good idea! 140km of the wyndiest bumpiest roads I've ever been on and I was sweating like a Heroin addict in need of a fix. About 2 minutes before the piss break. I pewked. Managed to keep it in my mouth as so avoid embarassing my self infront of the 14 others. I dont think anyone noticed! Yes! Went to the pisser, pewked it out and tried to fall asleep before we left again. 10 minutes before Pai. I pewk again, however this time, some escaped! PHUCK! Sweating, pewking, shivering. A horrible day!

I laid in bed most of the day shivering in the heat as I had not had anything to eat all day or anything the day before really either. But I was in Pai and thats all that mattered! I managed to get out of bed later in the evening. Grabbed some strawberries and felt instantly better! Saw this British girl that was on the bus with me who has been here for over a month. She prob couldn't help but to laugh at my sorry ass! We grabbed prob the best bite to eat I've had since being in Thailand. For the expensive price of 30B! I walked around some but pretty much went straight back to bed!

Today I feel fantastic! Going to buy another few books as I finished the one I bought in Chiang Mai. Hanging out in my 2nd home away from my 2nd home! I like it here!

No comments: