Friday, October 31, 2008

Mt Nebo - My Arch Nemesis

Jacaranda Trees


View from Mt. Nebo

I sent out an update about Mt Nebo before I started blogging so for you who hadn't previously heard about this hill is a mean one!

Last week was good for me on the bike.  Getting up at 5am 3x and totaling just over 200k.  Considering I have a job now, it's not too bad.  I've been riding with the other mechanish from work.  He rides most mornings and now he's got me racing next saturday.  Who ever places better doesn't have to buy coffee!  I'm just worried about getting dropped!   Apparently the race scene in Brissy isn't all that hot so I'm hoping 'Elite' doesn't kick my arse too bad!  It's hard to believe when you see hundreds of people riding any day of the week before 6am!

Anywho!  My ride to Nebo was a much different experience this time.  I was riding with Julian (Mechanish) and his older buddy Peter (Former Masters Pursuit World Champ)  Yeah no biggie.  The guy had the rainbow jersey on his shoulders a little while ago.  He was no Hopkins but fack could he go up hill!

We went up Nebo through this 'Goat Track'.  Apparently you can see goats but I was too busy taking in the breathtaking views of the city to my left or remembering to keep my legs moving and heart beating.  5km of BRUTAL climbing on this dirt road that hadn't seen any type of upkeep in eons!  Dancing on the pedals was not an option as you would just lose traction.  The total ascent for the day was just shy of 1200m over 65km.  Hard day in the saddle!

Fortunately, it is blooming season for the Jacaranda tree.  As you can see, it is a huge tree with purple flowers.  The coolest part is the smell of the flowers in the morning.  You can smell the trees hundreds of meters away and because Brisbane has one of the highest concentration of these trees in Queensland, you can smell them all the time!

Anywho! Until Next time!

2 comments:

Bert said...

So who's buying coffee?

JN said...

find out next weekend!